- This event has passed.
Shoot for the Stars Casino Night
April 9, 2016 @ 7:00 PM - 10:00 PM
The stars will align at 7 p.m. Saturday, April 9, at the Garfield Center for the Arts when local “celebrities” will take their seats as Las Vegas-style dealers to help raise funds that will support the services and patient care provided by UM Shore Nursing & Rehabilitation Center at Chestertown.
“This is the third Shoot for the Stars Casino Night, and the first two, in 2013 and 2014, were very successful,” said Maryann Ruehrmund, executive director of the Chester River Health Foundation. “Each year, we sold out quickly, and everyone who attended had a grand time. The Garfield Center for the Arts is a very elegant but relatively small venue, so I’m advising people to purchase tickets early.”
Ruehrmund said arriving guests will walk the red carpet to be greeted by the evening’s host, Stu Seitz, director of Shore Nursing and Rehabilitation Center. They will be treated to a glass of sparkling vidal blanc, compliments of Crow Vineyard and Winery, and $25,000 in chips to use at the gaming tables. (Additional chips may be purchased, as well.)
A selection of heavy hors d’oeuvres provided by Occasions Catering will be available throughout the evening, and a coffee and dessert bar will be provided at the conclusion of gaming.
Entertainment will be provided by “Daddy O! Does Doo Wop” (local attorney Dan Saunders), who will perform music from the golden age of rock ‘n’ roll. New this year, a complimentary, 1950s-styled photo booth will be on site throughout the occasion.
At the close of the evening, guests will cash in their chips for the chance to win five prizes. The top prize, awarded to the evening’s “high roller,” is a one-week vacation in Mexico.
Other prizes, awarded on a raffle basis, include a 20-bottle basket of wine, Orioles tickets and a long weekend stay in the trendy Foggy Bottom area of Washington, D.C.
In addition, tickets for a 50-50 raffle are currently on sale at the front desks of Shore Nursing and Rehabilitation Center and Shore Medical Center at Chestertown, and also at the office of Chester River Health Foundation. Attendance at the event is not required to win the 50-50 raffle.
Health care “celebrities” who have signed up as “croupiers” (dealers) for Shoot for the Stars Casino Night include several staff members and physicians from Shore Medical Center at Chestertown:
• Wayne Benjamin, family care practitioner, MDVIP, and member, Shore Regional Health Medical Staff Medical Executive Committee;
• John Haines, nursing supervisor, SMC at Chestertown;
• Sherrie Hill, coordinator, Cardiopulmonary Rehabilitation, SMC at Chestertown;
• William Huffner, chief medical officer and vice president for Medical Affairs, Shore Regional Health;
• Steven Jacobson, clinical coordinator, SMC at Chestertown Emergency Department, and paramedic, Kent County;
• Melvin S. Rapelyea, radiologist, Shore Medical Center at Chestertown.
Celebrity dealers from the community will include:
• John Carroll, member, Galena Town Council and Chester River Health Foundation Board;
• Ron Fithian, commissioner, Kent County, and town manager, Rock Hall;
• Cindy Genther, Realtor, Rock Hall Properties;
• Tom McHugh, founder, The Mainstay, and facilitator for fine arts, Kent County Public Schools;
• John Price, sheriff, Kent County;
• Leslie Sea, co-owner, WCTR Radio.
Tickets are $125, of which $75 is tax-deductible as a charitable donation. They are available on a first-come, first-served basis. Guests are encouraged to dress in cocktail attire.
For more information or to purchase tickets, call Deb Lauser at 410-810-5661. Tickets also are available online at umshoreregional.org/help/donate/chesterriver/shoot-for-the-stars.